The Charities

The George Fentham Hampton-in-Arden Charity (the ‘Main Trust’)

This is approved by the Charity Commissioners No 1098618

In 2003 the Trustees agreed to convert the Main Trust into a limited company in line with modern practice.  The objects laid down by the Company’s Memorandum of Association  are as follows:-
‘…to provide relief for the benefit of those resident in the almshouses (owned from time to time by the Charity) and to pay pensions and relieve those persons in need resident in the area of benefit who are of good character and who have resided in the area of benefit for a period of not less than two years next preceding the time of appointment and secondly for charitable purposes for the general benefit of inhabitants within the area of benefit including general educational purposes.
The area of benefit shall mean the parish of Hampton-In-Arden as constituted on the 23rd December 1907 being the area shown on a map deposited in the office of the Commissioners and identified by the number 527.’

The Education Foundation of George Fentham

This is approvedby the Charity Commissioners No 528816.

In 1782 the first School was built in Fentham Road opposite to the present School, which was established in 1914. Girls were taught as well as boys, but separately by a Mistress in her own home. The Charity subsequently built two more Schools, one for boys adjacent to the 1782 building and now used as a Branch Library, and one for girls and infants erected in 1849 off the High Street and which is now replaced by Wellmeadow Grove. At the time the Charity paid the teachers’ salaries and all other outgoings, as well as providing the buildings.
In 1915 the Educational Foundation was split from the Main Charity with a Scheme of its own. This Scheme has a wider geographical area of benefit than the main Charity as, in addition to the ancient parish of Hampton-In-Arden, it includes Balsall Common, Knowle and the outlying areas of Nuthurst and Kinwalsey but not the immediate neighbouring parishes of Barston and Bickenhill.
The 1944 Education Act brought in the concept of Voluntary and Aided Schools in primary education. The then Trustees and School Managers decided that the Fentham School should have “aided status”. This meant that the School would henceforth be managed by a body of managers now called the Board of Governors.